Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blog #12 Final Thought

     I took a class this spring called Colloquium at Florida Gulf Coast University. I first heard about this class at orientation, and I was informed that it was a requirement. I think having Colloquium as a requirement is a phenomenal idea, and I really think it would be really great if more universities adopted the idea of making this course a requirement. It's one of those classes that sounds like a drag to most people (not me), but after you take it, you are definitely not wishing you have never taken it. That means that pretty much everyone has probably gained something from this class.
     In Colloquium, your class gets to go out on adventures. Our class got to go with a teacher that not only knows a lot about the area of southwest Florida, but he is also very passionate about his research, his teaching, the Earth, and the area he lives in. These field trips are a great learning experience, and you get to be outdoors, which is a great change of pace for most students who are inside during all their classes.
     Another thing I liked about this class is that you get to meet students that are working on other majors. It gets boring working with or next to other business students all the time. This is actually the only class I have that I made any new friends. In other classes I'm always listening to lectures, or doing budget analyses, even though I like doing budgets. I had a phenomenal time working with the other students. This class also lets you be creative, and there is nothing I love doing more than being able to use my creativity. Colloquium forces you to interact with your peers, and that is a key skill that employers look for.
     Colloquium had more of an impact on me than I thought it would. Since I am a business major, looking for a business to start or get into is a very key element in choosing my career. This class taught me that in the future, the businesses that will prosper are the ones that are looking for ways to help the Earth. Of course I would never intend to do anything that would hurt the Earth, but now I want to help save it. So I definitely want to work for a business that is eco friendly, and I want to help figure out ways we can sustain our resources better.

No comments:

Post a Comment